Monday, September 19, 2011

Remembering my Dad

Yesterday would have been my dad's birthday. Chuk and I celebrated with a makeshift picnic down by the river with some of my dad's favorites: shrimp fried rice and Jack and coke. (Don't worry, I skipped the Jack.)

This is such a bittersweet time for Chuk and me. Of course we're so happy to be expecting, but it's hard that we aren't able to share this exciting time with my dad and Chuk's mom. There's not a lot we can do about it, but we sit and reflect and talk and try to heal.


We scattered my dad's ashes in the Pacific Ocean, so it was nice to be by the water and think that there was a little bit of him with us.






Before




After


On another note, this is the first time we've picnicked like this. Is was so easy just to grab take out from the local Chinese restaurant and eat it outside. We don't get delivery or take out very often, but it made the picnic so fast and easy. It seems like such a better alternative to eating in a crappy restaurant or having a pizza in front of the TV. I'm keeping this idea in the memory bank for a cheap date. (The shared order of fried rice was $7 and the soda was $1.25 from the grocery store, and if we did this again we wouldn't have soda. Not bad.)

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering how you were doing...and here's a post from you today. What a great way to remember your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of spending time in a place that means something to you and to your dad and to have his favorite meal. My dad's birthday is around Thanksgiving so we're usually around family - last year we made his favorite birthday cake and that made the first time without him on his birthday a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.