Friday, April 19, 2013

Cherry Blossoms

 Hands down, the best thing about living in Washington, DC is the cherry blossoms. Every good thing you've ever heard about them is true. Pictures don't do them justice and they certainly can't capture the smell. It's magical.
Even on its worst days, I think Washington is one of the most beautiful cities in the country, but when it's in bloom, it's incomparable.
Last week, we braved the crowds and headed down to the Tidal Basin after Chuk got off of work. It was the peak bloom day and the weather was beautiful: warm and sunny and breezy.
 The blooms were about two weeks later this year than usual, but they were worth the wait.
It's times like these when I feel really lucky to get to live here.
I miss them already. But I suppose their fleeting nature contributes to their magical qualities. 

*  *  *

I took these pictures of the cherry trees on my street. 


These pictures are of the same trees two days later. The blooms come and go so quickly. But even as they're leaving, it is so beautiful. All of the sidewalks are covered in fallen petals. It's the most gorgeous confetti.

2 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! What a site, even if for a limited time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooo pretty. My kids love when the blossoms are blowing and falling - they pretend it's snow :)

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.