Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Celebrating My Third Wedding Anniversary

Today is my third wedding anniversary. I really love being married. It is still the best decision I ever made in my life, hands down. While I don't think you have to be married to be happy (I never imagined I'd get married), for me, it has added so much joy to my life.

Because Chuk had to work today and has class tonight, we began our anniversary celebrations over the weekend. Saturday morning, we went out to brunch and had full Irish breakfasts. We had planned to do it for St. Patrick's Day, but I was too sick then, so we postponed a week and it was even better. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary with a second honeymoon (our first honeymoon was a bit of a train wreck) in Ireland, so the brunch brought back a bunch of wonderful memories.



After brunch, we took a one-hour cherry blossom cruise around the Potomac and Anacostia rivers. It was a Groupon deal I bought a while back and didn't go exactly according to plan. It was cold, overcast and rainy, and because the weather has been so weird, the blooms had already started to fade. We were able to ignore all that though and just make the best out of being on a romantic boat ride.


After the cruise, we drove around the Tidal Basin for a quick look at the remaining cherry blossoms. I love how the petals look like pink and white confetti all over the ground. So pretty!


We got out of the car for about two minutes to take some quick pictures. (It was still raining.) I still can't get over how big I am. I think this baby is going to be a giant.

On Sunday, we decided to use up a coffee gift card Chuk had. I hadn't been to Starbucks in eleven months and I had forgotten how much I liked it. (The last time I went to Starbucks was when we were in Seattle for our second anniversary on our way to our Alaskan cruise.) We drank our iced coffees in the car on the way to a play. We saw a matinee of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Neither of us had seen it before and we both liked it. During intermission, we got chocolate cupcakes, which added to the experience.

And now that it's our actual anniversary, we're going to go out to a little creperie we've never tried before for dinner once Chuk gets out of class.

I'm so thankful we get to spend this much quality time together before the baby comes. I know we celebrate our anniversary more elaborately than a lot of other couples, but to me, it's an investment in our relationship, so it's worth it. These are the memories we talk about again and again.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on 3 years!! I don't think it's possible to over celebrate a wedding anniversary--with divorce rates being what they are, it is a giant accomplishment and I think celebrating is self-fulfilling as well.

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.