Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gratituesday: Temp Job

I’m grateful that I’ve had a new temp assignment since last Tuesday and it’s going really well. I was there to do a data entry project that was expected to last a week, but when I finished in three days they decided to keep me on for longer. Now let’s all cross our fingers and knock on wood; I think they might hire me permanently. We’ll see. I’m in sort of a trial period right now as they test me out and I feel them out.

So far, I am really enjoying working there. The atmosphere is fast-paced and exciting. People treat me with respect, which is more than I can say for my last temp job, where I felt degraded when people spoke to me.

The job I’m at now isn’t exactly in my field. Ironically, it’s a job I would have loved to have when I was an undergraduate and more interested in domestic policy. I went to graduate school for international development, but both fields deal with government and policy, so it’s good in that sense.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up too high, but it’s hard not to after being out of work for so long. I think I could be really happy working there. I’m just going to keep my nose to the grindstone and try to make a good impression. That’s all I can do, right?

2 comments:

  1. That's great that they're keeping you on for a trial period. I think that's the best way to get a job - because you're right, it's a two way street, and both parties need to feel like it's a good fit. I'm hoping it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.