Monday, October 24, 2011

This Weekend and Last

Last weekend was so special. I've been going through a rough time the past few months, so I really needed a few days of fun. Last weekend was full of fun, family and friends.

Friday, a dear friend of ours (the one who introduced Chuk and me, and who performed our wedding ceremony too) who now lives in San Diego came to spend the night. He brought me flowers and Chuk beer. We sat around the kitchen table all night eating pizza and chocolate chip cookies and drinking beers. (Well, I drank water.) Then Saturday morning we had a nice big brunch and my cousin, who lives several hours away, came over. We played Scattergories until our bellies hurt from laughing.

Our friend had to leave that afternoon, but then we got to have some one-on-one time with my cousin. I hadn't seen my cousin in two years because she had been doing a tour of duty in the Middle East for the Navy. She had literally just returned to the U.S. the day before. (I'd also like to mention it was her second tour in the Middle East.) She's back stateside because, after twenty years in the Navy, she's retiring. I'm so proud of her and her service to our country.

We spent the rest of the afternoon walking down by the river and catching up and then we went out to dinner at a local restaurant.


On Sunday, Chuk made us waffles and then we headed out to my cousin's favorite spot in DC, Eastern Market. If you've never been, it's a combination farmers' market and flea market right in the middle of the city.



At Eastern Market, we had literally the best peaches I've ever had in my life. It's so late in the season, I don't know how the farmers kept them so sweet and juicy. I wish I had taken a picture. They were huge! Each one was like the size of a grapefruit.





We had a late lunch at a different restaurant, where we were able to dine al fresco. The weather that weekend was so perfect. Sadly, I had ended our fantastic visit on a down note when Chuk had to pull over the car on our way home so I could throw up on the sidewalk...for twenty minutes. My poor cousin was in shock. She's never had children and didn't realize my morning sickness was as bad as I had been describing it. She held herself together, but I think I traumatized her.

This weekend was much more low key. Chuk and I spent the at home or close to it. We went to IHOP Saturday night for some free pancakes (join their "Pancake Revolution" on their website and they'll email you a coupon for a free meal) and then we did a little shopping for the baby--a couple of pairs of pajamas and a pack of cloth diapers I'm going to turn into burp cloths. Sunday, I made a quick Ikea run while Chuk did homework with football on in the background. Then Sunday night I cut his hair and we watched The Amazing Race while doing laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.