Monday, April 11, 2011

Giving Up: How I'm Decluttering


I spent much of the weekend going through my wardrobe, purging my clothes. Clothes are the trickiest thing for me to declutter. I thought a lot about why that is and the conclusion I came to is that I had a hard time getting rid of things because of hope. I was hoping I would fit into something again. I was hoping I would recreate the good times I had had while wearing a particular outfit. I was hoping to be the younger, prettier, more fun, more successful version of myself.

I had to accept that if something hasn't fit me for seven years, it probably isn't going to fit me the eighth year. Things that worked for my lifestyle when I was single and in my early twenties don't work for me anymore now that I'm married an in my early thirties. I had to give up the fantasy that one day I'd again be a size X and wear suits to my powerful job and spend weekends making out with hotties in nightclubs. That's just not who I am anymore and that's okay.

Getting rid of 10 bags of clothes (weighing more than 65 pounds!) is a step towards self acceptance. And I have to say, I feel so much better now! I feel better about myself and I'm loving how my closet and dresser look.

5 comments:

  1. Great job girl!! A hard thing to do. My closet needs cleaned out too.

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! 65 lbs of clothes is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! I'm working on a major purge right now, before I move so that when I (eventually) get to my new place I'll have just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a major accomplishment. I went thru my closet a few weeks ago for a small purge but nowhere near what I really need to do. I'm hoping I can get husband to declutter the whole house with me this summer, starting with the basement. Because yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting me at http://amateurvagrant.wordpress.com! I didn't really get into it in my post, but I know what you mean when you say, "Getting rid of 10 bags of clothes (weighing more than 65 pounds!) is a step towards self acceptance. And I have to say, I feel so much better now! I feel better about myself and I'm loving how my closet and dresser look." I went out and bought a pair of jeans that fit the other day and for the first time in a long time, they're slightly loose instead of comfortably tight. And I feel so much better for it! I don't hate what I see in the mirror, and my clothes are more flattering when they fit instead of trying to squeeze myself into an old wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.