Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Playing Hookie: One of Our Best Days

Yesterday, Chuk and I had an all day date. He had worked so many weekends that he was able to take a comp day and we decided to do a little tourism in our own city. We had a really fun time.


We started off by having lunch at Good Stuff Eatery. It is a burger joint owned by Spike Mendelsohn, a former Top Chef contestant. It was DELICIOUS. I had the farmhouse cheeseburger and Chuk had the Prez Obama burger and we both loved them. We shared a shake, herbed fries and a soda. I'm mango mayonnaise's newest convert and Chuk met and fell in love with sriracha chili sauce. If you're ever in DC, I would recommend eating here. I've already planned what I'm having the next time I go: the smokehouse burger and a d-lechable leche shake.

After lunch, we walked past the Capitol and headed to the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History. It was a million degrees out, but I didn't even whine. Maybe I'm maturing?

At the museum, we saw dinosaurs.

We saw the Hope diamond.

We touched a piece of Mars and did and saw a lot of other interesting things. I'm always amazed that the Smithsonians are free. They are a national treasure.

After the museum, we headed across town to Georgetown where we had dinner at a little burrito place and then went here:

Where we bought these:

I've never seen the show DC Cupcakes, but even so I couldn't help hearing the hype all over town about how good Georgetown Cupcake is. I've wanted to try it for a long time. I'm probably going to get hate mail for this, but honestly, I thought they were good, but I think Hello Cupcake in Dupont Circle is better.

Then, we went home and watched TV and ate cupcakes (I had 2 and Chuk ate 3!) and then Chuk gave me a foot massage.

I love that man. I love spending time together. I love all that our city has to offer. It felt like a mini-vacation. I feel very lucky.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun day to spend together! I love the idea of being a tourist in your own town. Now I'm craving cupcakes by looking at those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN! I'm dying to visit the Smithsonian! I've always wanted to go, but now I feel like I should wait until my babies are old enough to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you went to Spike's burger restaurant! We love that show. And how cool to live close enough that you can go to the Smithsonian's on a date day. We live on the other side of the coast...Cali. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome! I'm so very jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.