Sunday, August 23, 2009

Graceland


My grandma died last week. Part of me is really sad, but the other part of me is happy because I know she was ready to go. Other than my grandpa, I spent more time than anyone with her during the last six weeks of her life and I know she was suffering. She got to say goodbye to all seven of her children and she died peacefully. No one could have asked for anything more.

Chuk and I drove to Louisiana for her funeral. On the way back I insisted we go to Graceland even though it would add 2 more hours to our already 19 hour (without stops) trip. I can't really explain it (I'm not even an Elvis fan) other than to say I blame Paul Simon.

I see losing love
Is like a window in your heart
Everybody sees you're blown apart
Everybody sees the wind blow
In Graceland, in Graceland
I'm going to Graceland
For reasons I cannot explain
There's some part of me wants to see Graceland
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love, every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland

I have lost love and my heart is blown apart, but I know my grandma has been received in Graceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.