Friday, August 28, 2009

Happy Hour at Home: Quesadilla



Happy hour isn’t always about the drinks; the appetizers are a big part of the fun. You want tasty little finger foods that aren’t going to get in the way of conversation, but you also want something rather hearty since you are drinking and I find that people often use the happy hour appetizers as their evening meal.

I love Mexican food and quesadillas are one of my go-to dishes. They are so quick and easy, have nearly infinite variations, and everyone I know gobbles them up.

Basic Quesadilla

10-inch flour tortilla (usually called Burrito-size)
2/3 cup cheese (I usually you shredded Mexican blend, or half cheddar and half Jack)

Into a pan over medium heat, put your tortilla. Sprinkle cheese over half, then fold the other half of the tortilla over the cheese. Heat for about 2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook until second side is golden. Cut into fourths.

Serve on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole on the side.

Some filling combinations I like include:
Corn and pinto bean
Shrimp and green onion (Be sure to cut your shrimp in half lengthwise to make it thinner.)
Chicken and green onion
Turkey and salsa
Spinach and mushroom

To help keep your fillings from falling out, slice things thinly. It also helps if you sprinkle half your cheese, then distribute your toppings and cover them with the remaining cheese before folding the quesadilla over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.