Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sustainable Seafood


Earlier this year, Chuk and I saw a documentary called The Cove. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. It’s like Food, Inc. of the ocean, but more entertaining and more gruesome.

Since then, Chuk and I have been thinking about becoming vegetarian. (We saw The Cove and Food, Inc. in the same week. Talk about eye opening!) We haven’t made the leap yet, but we have committed to buying only sustainable seafood.

We have found a handy little tool called “Seafood Watch” that has made this much easier. It’s a little guide that fits in your wallet (so you never forget to take it to the grocery store) that tells you the best types of seafood to eat, the ones that are just okay, and the types you should avoid for environmental and/or health reasons.

I picked up my copy at the National Zoo near the octopus tank, but you can download one for free online. Each region has their own guide and they are updated regularly to keep abreast of changing environmental conditions.

Making eating sustainable seafood easy works for me.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of The Cove. Thanks for the recommendation. I saw Food, Inc. with my son, who was then 4 years old; it was not too gruesome for him, and now he understands that Mama is not just exaggerating by saying hamburgers can kill little boys!

    We eat a mostly-vegetarian diet because affordable meat is so dangerous to your health and bad for the environment. My article "7 Ways to Eat Less Meat" might be helpful to you as you cut back.

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.