Friday, November 20, 2009

It's Begining to Smell Like Thanksgiving

Yesterday, I made a 22 pound turley because it was on sale for $0.38/pound. (We're going to my in-laws' for real Thanksgiving.) We had a pre-Thanksgiving dinner last night, but froze most of the cooked meat for later. At that price, it's cheaper than chicken.

I don't have a roasting rack, so I experimented with cooking the turkey without it and happily it worked. I sliced some potatoes thickly and layered them on the bottom of the roasting pan then placed the turkey on top. The turkey was elevated out of the pan drippings and air was able to circulate under the bird. I can buy a lot of potatoes for the price of a roasting rack. (You can see a little bit of the potatoes below.)

I spent the day before yesterday baking three loaves of pumpkin bread, so I've been putting a lot of time in the kitchen lately. It should pay off now though. My fridge and freezer are stuffed so I shouldn't have to do any cooking for awhile now.

It's a good thing, too...I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.