Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Are You Freaking Kidding Me: Facebook Quiz

When I was in high school I had a subscription to Seventeen magazine. I read it cover to cover every month. My favorite part of it though was taking the silly quizzes. There still must be a part of that teenager in me somewhere, because when I’m bored, I like to take those stupid Facebook quizzes too.

I took the quiz “What Decade Fits your Personality Best?” and got the results 1960s. I chuckled to myself and showed my husband thinking he too would chuckle because clearly I am nothing like the 1960s. Here is what the description of my results were:

You are anything but square...you're more like a flower. You are a cool,
laid-back, deep-thinker type of rebel-- one who has strong beliefs about keeping
the peace with regards to society and the world. You go against the norm and are
proud of it; you don’t care what others think because, after all, your
differences are what make you stand out in order to make a difference. You clash
with the rules and regulations of the cultural norm which stereotype you as
Class-A Rebel—but rebel WITH a cause. You are also in tune with nature and
protecting the environment; therefore you are most likely drawn to bohemian,
earthy styles (or perhaps anything that stands you out in a crowd of boring
colors). Your style and attitude POP. You are in touch with your inner-self,
feelings, and deep-seeded emotions, and love to express them with music and art.
To my shock, my husband said he thought that was about right. What?! How could my partner of nearly four years not know what decade fits my personality best? (You know, because it REALLY matters and because Facebook quizzes are infallible.) I joked a little, “Yeah, because I’m such a Class-A rebel.” Again, to my surprise he said he did think I was a rebel and the examples he cited of my rebellion were that I didn’t change my last name when we got married and that I don’t buy into society’s consumerism. He could not think of any other examples.

I think those are examples of non-conformity at most, but not rebellion, much less “Class-A” rebellion. Those are choices I made and, in the case of consumerism, continue to make, because it’s what feels right for me, not because I’m trying to make some political or social statement.

What do you think? When we make choices that are atypical for society is it necessarily rebellion? What defines rebellion? Do you take the quizzes on Facebook?

P.S. For the record, I am clearly a 1930s (or at least wish I was). The description is below.
1930's
You are strong and determined and have what it takes to get through
life's storms. You are very helpful to those around you-- be it your friends,
your family, or even a neighbor in need. You are a great leader and
strong-willed person, and take challenges as a way to better yourself...But you
also have a deep sense of warmth and nurturing for those you care about. You are
well-rounded and tough because you have to be. You aren't a "diva" but rather a
humble person with admirable character. With more hard-working, quality like
you, this world would be a much better place. By being able to turn a little
into a lot, you know how to make life enjoyable even if it's just through the
little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.