Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy Hour at Home: Chicken Satay

This is the recipe I used for the engagement party last week. It was the first thing to be completely eaten up. It takes a little while to make (because of the skewering) but it isn’t hard and I bet you already have most of the ingredients on hand.

This recipe is adapted from Tyler Florence’s recipe. (Am I the only one who thinks he's hot?)

Chicken Satay

1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp. ginger (powdered or fresh)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. curry powder
1½ - 2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into strips
30-40 skewers

Skewer the meat so there’s chicken on only half the skewer.
Mix together all other ingredients.
Pour over chicken.
Let marinade for 1-2 hours. Don’t let it sit for more than two and a half hours or the chicken will start to break down. (Don’t ask me how I know this.)

After it has marinated, cook it over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. You can use a George Foreman grill, griddle, grill pan, or your outdoor grill. If you use an outdoor grill, you’ll have to soak your skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. If you use one of the other cookers, don’t worry about soaking them, just let the skewers hang off the side of the pan.

Serve with peanut sauce. Recipe follows.



Peanut Sauce

½ cup smooth peanut butter
1/8 cup soy sauce
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbs. dark brown sugar
Juice of one lime
¼ cup of hot water
Chopped peanuts, for garnish (optional)

Stir first six ingredients together. Pour into serving dish and top with chopped peanuts, if desired. Serve with chicken satay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.