Monday, October 19, 2009

Mississippi Mud

My mom handwrote this recipe in the back of a favorite family cookbook before giving it to me.

Growing up, my family’s other birthday tradition was to have Mississippi mud instead of birthday cake. Mississippi mud can best be described as a rich, rocky road brownie. We’d get home from El Perico and then dig into this. I’m opening up the vault to the secret family recipes, so enjoy!

Mississippi Mud

2 sticks of butter
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups pecans
½ cup cocoa
4 slightly beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
Mini-marshmallows
Chocolate frosting (recipe below)

Melt butter and cocoa together. Remove from heat and stir in beaten eggs. Mix well. Add flour, sugar, nuts, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Spoon batter into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 pan. Bake @ 350º F for 35-40 minutes. Top with mini-marshmallows.

Chocolate Frosting

1 box confectioners sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
½ cup milk
½ stick soft butter

Beat together until smooth. Pour over marshmallows.

1 comment:

  1. umm- yum! Thanks for sharing. Family recipes don't always seem to go over as well I except- but that is ok- I know that this baby is probably so good it is bad!

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.