Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy Hour at Home: Cider


When we have friends over, we don't usually make a huge deal out of it. (I don't make bellinis every Friday, in case you thought otherwise.) People come over; we talk; we play a game or grill something or watch football. However, I do like to make small changes to our normal routine every once in awhile to keep things fresh and make it feel special.

Have your friends over for happy hour (or just to hang out) and serve hard pear or apple cider instead of beer. I always prefer the taste of cider to beer, but at this time of year, it's especially good.


You could step things up a notch by offering mugs of hot (non-alcoholic) cider and a simple fondue in addition to the hard cider. Pour a gallon of cider into your crockpot with a couple of cinnamon sticks, cloves and citrus peel and let it simmer away on low or warm all day until your guests arrive. The smell will be as welcoming as the drink.

Make a simple Cheddar fondue and serve it with wedges of apples and chunks of bread. See, you are using that fondue pot you got for your wedding! (If you did not receive a fondue pot, you can use a second crock pot to make fondue.)

You're spreading the autumn cheer already.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right - I nearly always prefer hard cider to beer, but it's a treat we don't get much! Now I'd love to have some fondue and cider. . . yeah, in February.

    ReplyDelete

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.