Saturday, October 17, 2009

Please Help Me: Silverfish


Hello, my name is Meghan and we have silverfish. I’m totally embarrassed to admit this, but my desire to be rid of them overrides my embarrassment. We see maybe three or four a week in big and little sizes, so we know they’re breeding. We’ve seen them in nearly all the rooms of our apartment, but not our kitchen or dining room.

Just to be clear, I live in an old building and I believe the source of the silverfish is external to my apartment because I’ve seen them on the ceiling in the hall and I’ve seen one run in under my front door. Two sides of my apartment are external though, so it’s possible some could be getting in from outside. (Can you tell how embarrassed I am? Those pests could never be coming from my home.)

I’ve tried using boric acid to get rid of them and it hasn’t done anything. About three quarters of the time, they’re on the ceiling or walls so it’s hard to get at them with the boric acid. Both Chuk and I are majorly creeped out by them.

These suckers seem impossible to kill. According to Wikipedia, “In extreme cases, silverfish may live for one year without eating.” [Insert expletive of your choice.] I wish I hadn’t read that.

Here’s where you come in. Please tell me how to get rid of them! I know one of you has had this problem and found some inexpensive but foolproof method to be rid of silverfish forever, right? Or you’re an exterminator and have a brilliant solution to all my problems. Come on, I’m counting on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know word verification is a pain, but I'm getting a lot of spam comments, more than I can keep up with. I hope you'll leave a comment anyway. I really appreciate you reading and love hearing back from you.